Water Saving Tips for the Hot Summer Ahead
Last year we saw 45 record-breaking days in regard to temperature here in Honolulu. There has been a gradual increase in temperature for the last few year in the Hawai'i chain, and it is projected to be another hot summer in the coming weeks.
There is also an increase usage of water, since 2013 an average person in Hawai'i uses 164 gallons per day. In projection of the future, the county of Hawai'i wants us to kokua and try to lower our water usage down to 130 gallons per day. That is a total of 34 gallons that are needed to be cut from our daily lives. Here are some ways to cut down our water usage but also keeping in mind the upcoming warm weather:
- maintain your garden, be mindful of your weeds. Weeds are really pesky and it takes years for weeds to be eradicated from one's garden. Although it takes a long time it is in your utmost interest to take care of weeds. Start spot treating your garden by plucking weeds when they arise. Weeds grow at an exponential rate compared to other plants, although they have some good properties; they are unpleasant and hurt the aesthetics of your garden. They also use a lot of water taking from your plants, when you get rid of weeds you need less water to keep your yard space healthy.
- on topic of gardening or anything greenery, make sure you water your plants during the morning or evening. When you water your plants with the sun beaming on them the water will be more likely to evaporate. This is a waste of water and is not the most effective
-make sure that you water your plants when they need it, like us they are mostly water. With a whopping 90% of their body mass being water, water is crucial for their livelihood. They need water to photosynthesize, to stay hydrated, and to perform regular functions. It isn't necessary to keep a schedule for plants rather, when they look parched or it is due time. Learn more about your plants and the average weekly water intake.
- take short showers! One of the most re-iterated and easiest ways to reduce your water intake is by showering less. The average american uses about 17.1 gallons of water per shower that lasts about 8 mins. This is one of the main reasons why the Hawaiian average is so high. Taking this long of a shower actually can have adverse side effects. Some being the drying out of skin, skin aggravation from towel drying or over exfoliating (it is a thing!) and getting rid of the healthy bacteria before the overgrowth of bad bacteria.
- make sure that your house is in tiptop shape! a singular drip can make one lose about 5 gallons a day. When there are leaks in your house the drips will continual expound upon each other. If there are leaks, try to stop them as soon as possible. Or call professionals like us here at SERVPRO of East Honolulu. If you want to be extra cautious, flush some food coloring down your toilet tank, if it seeps into the bowl you have a leak.
- be a conscious member of your community. Be proactive and learn how to conserve your water sources as a community. Find your own average use of water, USGS has a free estimator to see how much water you use.
- find ingenious ways to replace water for conventional cleaning. This can be anything you do that uses water, try to cut down that water usage or replace it all together! This can be using a broom to clean your patio or garage instead of a hose or leaving out your food to defrost instead of using water.
- only run your dishwasher and washing machines only when it is full. This isn't only a water saver and most efficient it will save you a lot of money in the long run.
Here in Hawai'i the county expect at least 100 million more gallons to be used a day in the oncoming years. This can only happen if we are more cautious about our water usage. Look at your local websites, and city data for more information.
Let's Kokua Together
We at SERVPRO of East Honolulu know the adverse effects of this pandemic, no one knew that COVID-19 would effects us to the degree we see today. But, there is hope and with following the CDC Guidelines will make a brighter future for Hawai'i.
Many of us are asking how do we help prevent COVID-19 from our business and homes? Well SERVPRO of East Honolulu has the chemicals and equipment needed to clean and disinfect surfaces and to keep ahead of the curve.
We offer many services of heavy duty disinfecting, one of them is air-scrubbing. Although it sounds weird at first, cleaning the air is a very important component to a clean home. And the products we use are friendly enough for people to be back in the house in a matter of hours and strong enough to combat most viruses.
Our products are to the standards of hospitals, and EPA-grade so they are safe for even pets and the environment.
With a mind at ease you can trust SERVPRO of East Honolulu in these unprecedented times. From our ohana to yours we wish for the best.
Let us help you by helping the community, by practicing social distancing procedures and being conscious of others.
As always we will be here for anybody suffering from messes, 24/7 available for you.
Using the Best for the Best
We of SERVPRO of East Honolulu are known to use the best procedures, standards, cleaning equipment and more for your convenience. A standard that we uphold for water damage is the IICRC S500 Water Damage Guide. The IICRC is the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification, a certification program "to provide the highest quality concepts, terminology, and procedures recognized in the cleaning and restoration industry."
This is a guide that was made to be a extensive standardizing tool that aides in creating the best solution for your situation! This includes principles, procedural standards, and an emphasis on consultations and sources to create the best plan of action for you.
We use IICRC S500 for its high quality standards that we wish to always uphold; we are especially proud to use IICRC's value-area method. Which essentially gauges the air mover size needed for a job to "achieve appropriate airflow on water damage restoration projects".
We partner with IICRC to ensure that we have the highest standards, and to show that we are the most capable to handle any situation that appears. SERVPRO East Honolulu knows what it is like to appear in sticky situations, and we are here to get you out of them, the safe and proper way.
Servicing in East Honolulu
The beautiful Waikiki strip beach
We all know that there will be "trouble in paradise" occasionally, and when there is, SERVPRO of East Honolulu is here to help.
We are so thankful to be servicing the beautiful island of O'ahu and more specifically the Honolulu/Waikiki areas. We are a little biased, but we think this area is the best on the island of O'ahu. Here are some of our favorite things about East Honolulu:
1. We can't start a list about East Honolulu without acknowledging Ala Moana, the biggest mall in the Hawaiian Isle. This houses more than 250 stores and is so versatile for the whole ohana.
2. Our ohana at SERVPRO of East Honolulu love ramen, and the best ramen in the Waikiki area is Tenkaippin Hawaii. Regardless of what you choose on the menu, it is tasty and affordable!
3. The beaches! East Honolulu is known to have the most beautiful beaches on the island with gorgeous views. It is an all time favorite to hit the beach after work!
Thank you East Honolulu for allowing us to help clean up and restore your property to the best shape possible! Mahalo for the beautiful views and the awesome food.
Chemical of the Month: SERVPROXIDE
Here at SERVPRO East Honolulu we use all types of chemicals to clean and re-store anything. To show our extensive knowledge on the chemicals that WE use, and how they are the BEST we are doing a chemical of the month.
For the month of June, the chemical we are highlighting is SERVPROXIDE.
SERVPROXIDE kills harmful bacteria on hard and soft surfaces, it controls, prevents, and inhibits mold and mildew from re-growth.
This is 100% bio degradable, and is efficient as it does not need a wipe down after being sprayed.
There is a cool component of SERVPROXIDE, the longer the chemical is on a surface, the more potent it becomes. After 5 minutes of contact time, SERVPROXIDE kills hepatitis A.
SERVPROXIDE is extremely versatile and with proper instructions it can be used: to sanitize, deodorize, disinfect, pre-cleaner or post-cleaner, and can be used on both porous and non-porous surfaces.
Also, SERVPROXIDE carries the EPA's lowest toxicity rating meaning that this can be used for everyday use and industrial. This is great for any need, we use SERVPROXIDE for mold remediation, water damage, and cleaning services we offer.
So... Why Green?
SERVPRO of East Honolulu is known for a few things, like their superior cleaning skills and their quick restoration processes. There is ease with everything they do, but they also are known for the bright green logos. When you see a big van or car driving around with a bright green exterior one usually knows that this is a SERVPRO car.
SERVPRO originally chose this color in the 1970s because of how it popped when surveyed people were asked what color was most memorable. The color green is now almost brand recognition for SERVPRO.
Interestingly enough, there is now a shade called SERVPRO green! But, this green is more than just a marketing tactic or brand recognition.
For us at SERVPRO East Honolulu, this green is a sense of pride. When we wear our SERVPRO uniforms we give our customers assurance of excellence.
As long as we are wearing this green we will continue to give you the SERVPRO quality of restoration, and amazing customer service. We are prideful when we ride in the bright green vans as we are assuring you that we do everything with efficiency and legitimacy. And to us, that is why the SERVPRO green is important.
Using the Technology of the Future
We are using the best technology to really assess your problem. By using thermal imaging we can see what is really going on beneath the surface.
Thermal imaging can show us a few things:
-can see the overview of the problem
-see the heat loss easily
-quick access to moisture intrusion
these types of problems can sometimes be overlooked, when using the thermal imaging we are able to really refine these problems and locate the affected areas.
Our thermal imaging also aims to instantly identify the issue, this saves time and money for you.
Sometimes to the naked eye a wall doesn't seem to have water damage, with thermal imaging one can see if there are areas of excess moisture. This excess moisture can be seen clearly through thermal imaging as an absence of heat. This is a problem because water damage can lead to the growth of mold/mildew spores or bacteria. This makes it easier to remove the affected areas for a safer space.
Especially in Hawaii, since our humidity is so high there is an even higher possibility of more damage in the future; if these areas are not taken care of or removed.
We use thermal imaging to also prevent problems, thermal imaging makes it easier to see if there are electrical issues. When you look at a circuit unit through thermal imaging you can see if there is excess heat, if there is a buildup of heat that is a possible heat hazard. We have seen many cases of this happening, so rather than waiting for a fire we fix this immediately.
Here at SERVPRO of East Honolulu we are always striving for excellence and a through job well done. We can do this even better through the use of thermal imaging.
There is a reason why we say SERVPRO clean
Our employee ensuring the highest standards through innovative measures.
SERVPRO has been known to be clean and efficient in their jobs by using our unique 3 C’s:
Consult: As SERVPRO of East Honolulu, we know that each cleanup is unique, just like you. When we consult, we are consulting you, no one knows your issue like you do. We keep that in mind as we curtail solutions to you.
Clean: SERVPRO of East Honolulu knows what clean is, we house more than 20 certified equipment to handle various situations we come across. Not only this, we have multiple chemicals in house to help clean up any mess whether it be of biochemical origins or of natural causes. We will be here for you.
Not only do we clean, we also make sure we don’t create bigger messes. SERVPRO of East Honolulu does this by making sure that nothing else will be damaged in your household because of us. We take extra precaution dealing inside of your home, office, or your place of business, we will take care of you and your home.
Certify: Our community knows our name for a reason. We, SERVPRO of East Honolulu boast a 4.2 rate on Yelp. Because of our quality guarantee, our customers know of our success, do you?
We keep these C’s in mind every time we go in for a job, this ensures the SERVPRO clean. We are the #1 choice in cleanup because of our standards, choose us because no one knows how to clean a mess better than we do!
Are you ready for the 2020 Hurricane Season? Our guide to prevent hurricane damage
The Pacific Hurricane Season started yesterday and runs through until November 30. We of SERVPRO of East Honolulu know the repercussions of hurricane-related issues and recommend a few things for this coming season:
- Make sure you know your insurance policy, this will be with your homeowners insurance. Know how you are covered from windstorm damage.
- Spam! The first thing that runs out during a hurricane warning is Spam and toilet paper. Make sure, before there is even a storm warning, you have enough food, house supplies, and hygienic materials for your household for at least 48 hours.
- Strengthening your home
- Learn what types of water damage you can have, also know where your least secure areas of the house are.
- This is your garage doors, windows, doors, and roof.
These 2 simple tips can keep you prepared, and are simple enough to uphold throughout the season! On behalf of the SERVPRO of East Honolulu we hope you stay safe!
SERVPRO for the community
During these unprecedented times, we of SERVPRO East Honolulu are here for our community. We are STILL working to protect you. We are doing this by upholding the 2020 COVID-19 CDC Guidelines of social distancing and virus prevention.
Recently, a doctor's office in our community was affected by water damage. Using our 6 step process to repair forms of water damage, we helped ensure that his doors would be opened as soon as possible. From Emergency Contact to Restoration we helped open his doors in a matter of 10 days.
On top of opening his doors for our community during this tough time, we also gave him a free air cleanse.
Our air cleanses are certified to treat even the toughest of viruses-including COVID-19. This will ensure the quality and protection for the doctors and patients alike. We care for our community's health as well as their safety and protection.
When you choose SERVPRO East Honolulu you are choosing safety and protection. We ensure quality just as much as we ensure safety. We are #1 for restoration and cleaning because of our standards, and our employees who carry out our excellence. We focus on your safety so you don't have to.
As always we will be here for the community we serve, and only hope the best for all affected by COVID-19. Keep being informed and help us flatten the curve.
Stay Safe and Aloha,
SERVPRO of East Honolulu