Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fires are overwhelming – leaving your home unsafe for yourself and your family, and can cause harmful structural damage – including smoke and soot residue, and even water damage. SERVPRO of East Honolulu is proud to be one of Hawaii's most experienced fire damage repair and restoration companies. Our professionals have specialized training in fire damage restoration and cleanup to restore your home. We are available 24/7 with a team ready to work quickly and effectively to minimize damage and begin restoration immediately to your home.
Fire and smoke are very tricky problems to deal with, and should only be taken care of by professionals who are well educated in the field. At SERVPRO of East Honolulu, our highly trained fire damage restoration technicians know that areas of the home that may look unaffected by the fire may still possibly be dangerous. We promise to inspect every cavity of your home to make sure every bit of smoke damage is taken care of so you can get back into your home as soon as possible.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (808) 395-9545
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.